In this document
Before you download and build the Android source, ensure your system meets the following requirements. Then see Establishing a Build Environment for installation instructions by operating system.
Your development workstation should meet or exceed these hardware requirements:
- A 64-bit environment is required for Gingerbread (2.3.x) and newer versions, including the master branch. You can compile older versions on 32-bit systems.
- At least 100GB of free disk space for a checkout, 150GB for a single build, and 200GB or more for multiple builds. If you employ ccache, you will need even more space.
- If you are running Linux in a virtual machine, you need at least 16GB of RAM/swap.
The Android Open Source Project
master branch is traditionally developed and tested
on Ubuntu Long Term Support (LTS) releases, but other distributions may be
used. See the list below for recommended versions.
You workstation must have the software listed below. See Establishing a Build Environment for additional required packages and the commands to install them.
Android is typically built with a GNU/Linux or Mac OS operating system. It is also possible to build Android in a virtual machine on unsupported systems such as Windows.
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) - AOSP master: Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty)
- Android 2.3.x (Gingerbread) - Android 5.x (Lollipop): Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise)
- Android 1.5 (Cupcake) - Android 2.2.x (Froyo): Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)
Mac OS (Intel/x86)
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) - AOSP master: Mac OS v10.10 (Yosemite) or later with Xcode 4.5.2 and Command Line Tools
- Android 5.x (Lollipop): Mac OS v10.8 (Mountain Lion) with Xcode 4.5.2 and Command Line Tools
- Android 4.1.x-4.3.x (Jelly Bean) - Android 4.4.x (KitKat): Mac OS v10.6 (Snow Leopard) or Mac OS X v10.7 (Lion) and Xcode 4.2 (Apple's Developer Tools)
- Android 1.5 (Cupcake) - Android 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich): Mac OS v10.5 (Leopard) or Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) and the Mac OS X v10.5 SDK
Java Development Kit (JDK)
Please note, since there are no available supported OpenJDK 8 packages for Ubuntu 14.04, the Ubuntu 15.04 packages must be installed manually. See JDK for Ubuntu LTS 14.04 for precise instructions.
- The master branch of Android in AOSP: Ubuntu - OpenJDK 8, Mac OS - jdk 8u45 or newer
- Android 5.x (Lollipop) - Android 6.0 (Marshmallow): Ubuntu - OpenJDK 7, Mac OS - jdk-7u71-macosx-x64.dmg
- Android 2.3.x (Gingerbread) - Android 4.4.x (KitKat): Ubuntu - Java JDK 6, Mac OS - Java JDK 6
- Android 1.5 (Cupcake) - Android 2.2.x (Froyo): Ubuntu - Java JDK 5
- Python 2.6 -- 2.7 from python.org
- GNU Make 3.81 -- 3.82 from gnu.org; Android 3.2.x (Honeycomb) and earlier will need to revert from make 3.82 to avoid build errors
- Git 1.7 or newer from git-scm.com